Blog

What you missed at Integrated Marketing Week: Day Two

  Weren’t at the Integrated Marketing Week conference on Wednesday?Here are some quick hits on the most exciting sessions, or, take a look at our day one recap!

post-ft-image

 

Weren’t at the Integrated Marketing Week conference on Wednesday?Here are some quick hits on the most exciting sessions, or, take a look at our day one recap!

Jab..Jab..Jab…Right Hook: A Conversation with Gary Vaynerchuk – His Story in a Noisy Social World

Speaker: Gary Vaynerchuk, VaynerMedia

Gary Vaynerchuk is full of insight and one-liners, and he shared a few of them here.

The most important differentiator for success: are you, your clients, and your company marketing in the year that we actually live in? Are you marketing in 2014, or is your marketing stuck in 2002?

Functionality is also important. Vaynerchuk noted that there are a staggering amount of businesses developing marketing strategies for functionalities that don’t exist. For example, you can’t hyperlink within Instagram posts. You have to direct people to your bio and link them from there. Make sure you know the platform you’re using.

The internet is squeezing everyone in the middle who provides no value out of a job. This relates to retail outlets like Walmart, who exist only as a middleman between the producer and the consumer.

There’s not enough sales logic in marketing right now. We’re still pricing billboard space based on how many cars someone thought drove by that spot in 1986 in a given hour. No one is even looking at billboards anymore, they’re looking at their phone. We’ve also been taught to think only one move ahead, and that’s not how it works.

Conversations, Not Campaigns

Speaker: Matt Zilli, Marketo

 Here is a stat you know: People see 3,000 marketing messages today. Here are a couple you might not know: they’ll pay attention to 52, and will remember four.

The goal for email marketing is to become a trusted resource. At that point, the door is open for conversation. We get there by looking not just at demographics, which tells us who our audience is, but behaviors, which tells us what our audience likes.

Implementing a Global Business Transformation Strategy for the Future.

Speaker: Bernard Luthi, Rakuten.com Shopping

This one is all about how buy.com became an American version of Rakuten.com. Rakuten has a large presense in Japan. It’s ecommerce, but also banking, travel, professional sports and more. Changing from buy.com to Rakuten.com was a major culture change for the company.

Bernard Luthi shared his biggest rebranding tips:

  1. Test. Let the numbers talk. Don’t try to achieve consensus.
  2. Include the CEO. No surprises.
  3. Never design a single part by itself. Look at how it affects the whole.
  4. Make it human. Design for and by your customers.

Future Trends in Marketing

Speakers: James Green, Magnetic // Randy Lewis, Brooklyn Nets/Barclays Center // David Lesué, AtTask // Lynn Perry, Salesfusion

The future is not just about technology, but about different work processes we can employ.

In the short term, the panel predicted that mobile and wearable tech will jump to the next level. Wearables will do everything that mobile can do, but easier. Your phone will even be “in” you, Randy Lewis remarked. Last week, we went in depth about connected devices.

Google already knows everything about us. It knows what we’re buying, what we’re doing, and why we’re doing it. Soon, ads will be so contextual and relevant to us that they won’t look like ads anymore. They’ll look like reminders instead.

Creating the Right Analytics Measurement Plan for Optimizing Customer Engagement

Speaker: ILun Hsu, MetLife

Make sure you’re looking at the right analytics. This is how you start:

  1. Define Key Stakeholders
  2. Determine Top Business Objectives/Goals
  3. Define Strategies/Tactics Used to Meet Goals

Once you’ve done these, then you can create a measurement plan.

Keep in mind that only 15-25% of visitors to a website have an intent to make a purpose. It’s important to take into account what the remaining 75% are there for.

When you’re breaking down needs, make sure to separate them into company needs and consumer needs. They can be very different.

Business objectives can be broken down into 4 major categories

  1. Increase sales
  2. Reduce costs
  3. Promote brand/product/service
  4. Improving Customer Satisfaction & Needs

Get in touch with us

let’s start building better today

Contact Us